Friday, September 3, 2010

Publications

Genetic testing for the BRCA gene mutations has been around for ten plus years now. This means that our doctors have had at least ten years to make their recommendations on how best to pro-long and enhance our chances of a cancer free long life. We all know what these options are, and have come to see them as more culturally accepted.

Thus far in my quest to better inform myself I have focused on websites and books to digest the published information from the medical field and feed it back to me in their words. This week my genetic counselor and I have spoken several times and I have had the pleasure of receiving my own copy of the JAMA's newest publication. I am sure you have all heard media reports on this wonderful study this week. There is a great deal of valuable information in here, and I am planning on giving you my own run down of what it reports. Over the next week I am going to be highlighting, note taking, and question asking to accurately give you my best interpretation of this publication.

After reading it thru just once I have already assigned myself a few more publications to track down and investigate. One specifically deals with the use of hormone therapy after oophorectomy. This topic is still very controversial, but I want to know more about it. So in my mind who better to go to when in need of information than our world of medical professionals!

Wish me luck and I look forward to reporting back to you soon!!

Have a great Holiday weekend!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment