Monday, February 15, 2010

Cancer Risk

This morning my head is afloat with decongestant, and an onslaught of information from books and the Internet. My hopes are to educate, and not mislead. I know that I may come across biased some times, but remember you are in control of what decisions you make. Today I scoured the National Cancer Institutes website. They have a wonderful write up about BRCA1 & BRCA2. I would recommend to anyone their link if you would like more information. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA
I have pulled several items from this publication that I feel are important. So here we go - Day 3.

First of all, lets talk about genetic counseling. I loved my counselor! In one sense she is like a personal concierge, but at the same time she is a friend who will hold your hand and provide all the tissues you need. At our first appointment my counselor drew up an extensive family tree. The weeks before my visit with her I collected as much information about both sides of my family as possible. With this information we were able to comprise a fairly nice looking tree. In my case specifically there were some black holes, so don't feel pressured if you cannot find out every little detail. Just try and gather as much information as you can. The next part of our discussion involved the brochure from Myriad Genetic Laboratories, Inc. This brochure contains information to educate you on testing, risk, management and surveillance. You can access this information on their website - http://www.myriadtests.com. At the end of this appointment we scheduled a date for me to come back to meet with my counselor and an oncologist. After we had talked and gone over the information again it was decision time. We opted to have my blood drawn that day. Three to four weeks late my results were in.

On January 25th, Cody and I went back to Joe Arrington Cancer Center to see my genetic counselor once again. It was time to get my results. Lets go ahead and be honest. I was absolutely nauseous, I wanted to throw-up my toenails. My appointment was at 2:00 that day, so we had enjoyed a nice morning at home with the kids. Cody had made us breakfast, and JB and Taylor were able to play before we all piled in the car to meet my mother-in-law for lunch in Lubbock. The entire 1 hour and 45 minutes to Chili's I wanted to bite off every minuscule piece of fingernail available in reach of my teeth. I believe this trip may have been the quietest trip Cody and I have ever taken together. My nerves were shot. When we finally reached the Cancer Center I was still anxious, but it was time to find out the results. My counselor and an observing student gave Cody and I the news. I had tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. After getting the results, I was actually pretty calm. I think I was relieved.

A week before I went to get my results my sister, Katie, received some of her own. She had breast cancer. In December she had found a lump in her neck that was a little concerning. She had gone to her doctor, and he decided to send her for a mammogram. In early January Katie went for her mammogram, a few days later she was called back for a second, and the subsequent week she traveled to Lubbock for a needle biopsy. Katie is only 30 years old!!

My test results seem very minor in comparison with Katies. I don't plan on taking them for granted though. God has given both of us something that our mother did not have. For Katie he gave her early detection, and me he has given me an even more precious gift a chance to do something in advance.

Until tomorrow, best wishes & God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment